[Chat] ants in the village

echalmers at mindspring.com echalmers at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 6 09:34:35 EDT 2005

The ants are everywhere this year, for some reason. As long as they are outside and are not fire ants, I don't worry about them, especially because they eat aphid goo (fire ants, BTW, have been sighted in southern Maryland). You can buy nontoxic boric-acid type powder that won't harm other living organisms and put a "firewall" around likely parts of your house. You do have to check your work, because if you block off one road, the ants will create another, and as Steve said, you have to replenish after rain. I've not used straight boric acid, and I believe you might have to look at garden centers for the kind of ant powder I bought--it's been some time since I've used it. The garden shop over Falkenhan's (Mill Valley Garden Center, I think) might be able to help you, as well as Valley View.

I too would be interested to know what has brought out the ants this year.