[Chat] More on prostate cancer

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Wed Jun 8 10:00:12 EDT 2005

A book that I very much recommend is The Prostate Cancer Protection
Plan: The Foods, Supplements, and Drugs That Can Combat Prostate Cancer
by Dr. Bob Arnot.  This book details the relationship between diet and
prostate cancer, based on where prostate cancer is prevalent (U.S.) and
where it is much rarer.  For example, in much of Asia, the rate of
prostate cancer is far lower than in the U.S.  And the sons of
immigrants from those places still have a lower rate of prostate cancer
than the rest of Americans, but the grandsons have the same rate as the
rest of us.  The logical suspect is diet.

For this reason, much of the time I follow Dr. Arnot's advice of a
vegan, Asian or Mediterranean diet, although I do eat meat or fish every
so often.

Treatment does not completely rid one of the cancer; that is why one
will receive periodic PSA tests after treatment and, in the case of
radiation treatment, periodic digital rectal exams.  What is important
is that the cancer not spread to the bones.  This is why diet is still
important.

Dr. Arnot has a similar and earlier book on breast cancer (The Breast
Cancer Prevention Diet); I have not read it, but he says that its
recommendations are similar except that women need more calcium (but
calcium can contribute to prostate cancer in men).

Steve.