[Chat] Re: [Discussion] RE: CV Historic District

OldHouseHistory at aol.com OldHouseHistory at aol.com
Tue Mar 22 19:22:56 EST 2005

There are lots of complexities, as John mentioned.

One of the most notable is that inclusion in only a National Historic
District, such as Charles Village, is that there is no protection from  demolition,
either.  If the new owners of the house at 29th and  Charles want to raze it
for a condo building that is built within  the zoning allowance, its their
right to do so, and there is no stopping a  demo permit issued and executed while
the community grapples with their  reaction.  Such a scenario is what usually
gets a community interested  in the difference between local and national
designation when its often too  late.

I'm not saying a local designation is needed in CV, but in my experience,  it
only takes one such drastic demolition of a revered landmark (or series of
houses) to wake up the community to what is possible under our current  federal
designation.

Paul

PS  By the way, Steven, the city government already tells you what you  can
and can't do with your property, through legislation, zoning, and  codes.  I'm
sure you appreciate this limitation by the  government, otherwise your
neighbors could raise chickens in the backyard,  demolish their house and build a car
stereo installation shop, or  create "Club Guilford" in their ground floor,
complete with a velvet rope on the  sidewalk.

Paul K.  Williams
Kelsey & Associates, Inc
2629 Guilford Avenue
Baltimore,  MD 21218