[Chat] digging out a basement?

Robert Watters rewatters at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 19:28:02 EST 2005

Hi all,

I had a question for you all.  I desperately want to be able to fit some exercise equipment in my basement.  My ceiling height is roughly 77 inches, but it seems like the magic number is 84 inches/7 feet for good clearance.

>From what I have heard, my home didn't have a cement basement floor originally (it was built in 1900).  I have heard of people digging out their basements in their rowhomes, but was curious about hearing some firsthand experiences of cost, etc.  To get me by, I would only need to lower a section of my basement that was roughly 16 feet (width of the house) by 10 feet.

I believe I have heard that you can "dig out" a basement as long as the bottom of the load bearing walls has sufficient lateral support.  With concrete, I'm sure you would need less of the wall buried than the original design that was supported by compacted dirt, but I'm definitely not an architect.  Has anyone been through this process?

Thanks for any tips!
-Bob