[Chat] Propery Tax hearing

John Spurrier jfspur at hotmail.com
Tue May 3 08:03:47 EDT 2005

Didon,

I appealed my assessment recently with mixed results. I chose to appeal
because there were
mistakes on the property information sheet for a building that I recently
purchased.

I would suggest that if you haven't done so already, get a copy of the
worksheet for your house.
Also, try to locate other similar properties with lower assessments that are
more in line with the condition of your property that can be used as
comparables. Then get copies of the worksheets for those addresses.

Is it the new assessment that you are appealing? Aren't you subject to the
4% cap for increases?
Regardless of the amount of the new assessment, your increase should be
limited to 4% each year.

I brought photographs that indicated property conditions the assessor
couldn't possible know about.
They offered a slight reduction which will save me a few hundred dollars
over the next three years.
Since I had recently purchased the building at a great price, it was hard to
persuade the hearing officer that the property was worth less than I paid
for it.

Good luck!

John

p.s. if you need help with comparables, let me know.

John Spurrier
Your LIVE BALTIMORE Preferred Realtor
(410) 433-7800
subscribe to my email newsletter