[Chat] Propery Tax hearing

John Spurrier jfspur at hotmail.com
Tue May 3 15:27:21 EDT 2005

Emily,

The assessments used to be based upon 40 percent of market value, but the
rate was around $5.85 per $100 of assessed value, plus the state assessment
bringing it to over $6 per $100 of assessed value. Over the past few years
they converted to full market value (supposedly) and reduced the rate to
$2.46 which is around 40 percent of the old rate. I believe this was because
publications comparing major cities for economic development and business
relocation purposes often compare property tax rates and Baltimore's was so
high that it was seen as discouraging investment.

Here's a link to property tax rates around the state:

http://www.fountainheadtitle.com/taxrates.htm

John

John Spurrier
Your LIVE BALTIMORE Preferred Realtor