[Chat] Propery Tax hearing

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Tue May 3 17:45:39 EDT 2005

Emily,

De facto, what the system really amounts to is that if you have owned
your house for a while, then it is assessed much lower than a house
which recently has changed hands.  For example, a house across the
street from me recently sold for a lot (John Spurrier will know more
details), and when I looked at the State Department of Assessments and
Taxation online database, the assessment had gone up by 150%.  With the
phase-in, it will go up by 50% this year, and then will be subject to
the 4% per year cap.  Meanwhile, my house went up by 10%, or actually
less than the 4% per year cap.  In one way, such a system is good in
that those who have lived here a while are not driven out by a huge
increase in property values; on the other hand, it clearly can lead to
huge discrepancies in taxation.  The extreme of this sort of thing is
California under Proposition 13; the tax on a house can go up 1% per
year, but as soon as it changes hands, it is reassessed at market value;
with housing prices out of sight in much of California, you can imagine
the discrepancies in taxes between a house someone has owned for many
years and a house that has just changed hands.

You can ask yourself in general about the fairness of a tax that is
based on how much other people would pay for your house, but which is
mitigated by the slowness in reassessment as long as the house does not
change hands, and which is further mitigated by the 4% per year cap on
assessment increases.  The harder problem is to come up with an alternative.

Our mayor wanted to raise the 4% per year cap to 10% per year (the
maximum allowed by state law) because he wanted more revenue; there was
no hint that he would reduce property tax rates.  Fortunately, the City
Council turned him down.

Steve.