[Chat] Watch the register at Giant

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Sun May 29 02:09:20 EDT 2005

On May 29, 2005, at 1:07 AM, jdy wrote:

> is that fraud? has happened to me a couple times. even at the rotunda.
> judy

"Fraud" means that it was willfully done - ergo it would be fraud if
Giant advertised one price and it actually charged a higher one on
purpose.

An issue of the store computer not being updated to match the
advertised price most likely would not be willful fraud. Instead,
it's what we call a "mistake."

Actually, it wouldn't be fraud even if they were doing it willfully.
I'm not a lawyer, but I do believe that to make a situation
fraudulent, there already has to be a contract between the involved
parties that was broken. Since there's no contract between you and
Giant when you're looking at one of their circulars or reading the
price printed on the shelf, then at worst that would be false
advertising... but again, you would have to prove that it was
willfully done by Giant.

/dale