[Chat] Lead paint (was Re: Charles Village houses to be auctioned)

Kathleen Wilsbach kwilsbach at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 12 17:01:59 EST 2005

At 3:17 PM -0500 11/12/05, Stephen J Gewirtz wrote:
>John,
>
>Thanks for a very clear explanation.  I had not thought about the
>impact of lead paint laws; on the other hand, there is something
>very immoral about renting out apartments and houses which expose
>tenants to lead.  Too many entrepreneurs in our capitalist system
>think only of profit and ignore the potential victims of their greed.
>
>Steve.

True, although on the flip side, how many of us are taking that very
risk and living in homes that we own where the lead paint hasn't been
removed?  I know I am.  The task of removing it just seems too daunting.
And I even had to put a couple of my rabbits through chelation therapy
because of high lead levels.  Though since Emil and I don't chew on
our baseboards, we're probably not at the same risk.

Has anyone on the list taken the step to have the lead paint in their
homes removed?  I'd be interested to hear about your experience,
especially about the cost.

-Kathleen
--
Kathleen Wilsbach