[Chat] MPT interview with Timmie

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Thu Oct 13 23:09:04 EDT 2005

There was a very nice interview with our neighbor Timmie Daugherty
on MPT's Artworks:

http://www.mpt.org/artworks/thisweek/  .

I've included the text below.  Kathleen and I recorded the program.

--Emil

Timmie Daugherty

Artist

Trash speaks to Timmie Daugherty. Cast-off ticky-tacky reincarnates
into new whimsical mosaics and assemblages under her vision. As she
puts it, "I am making the transition from attorney to artist, a
transition much easier to make than you would suppose, especially when
you start with your house and gardens as your pallette. I was raised
by thrifty Quaker parents, who taught me the value of repairing and
recycling. In the late sixties and early seventies, my friends and I
would "shop" at the dump several times a week. Now I "shop" in the
alleys in my neighborhood. And, of course, I must confess to a thrift
shop habit."

"I soon learned to go beyond my gardens and house in my work; but my
tables, mirrors and assemblages definitely are part of a
piece. Whether working outside or inside, I still love to rescue
abandoned items and give them new life by deconstucting and
reconstructing them into totally new creations. Most of the stained
glass I use in my work is another artist's leavings. The ceramics and
jewelry come free or from the thrift store, as do the pieces on which
I make my mosaics."

Related Links:

Weird Gardens
http://www.weirdgardens.com/statement.html