[Chat] Fw: [AIA Members] Be a Community for Families Devastated by HurricaneKatrina

Brad Schlegel william.schlegel at us.army.mil
Wed Sep 7 10:25:30 EDT 2005

 FYI
----- Original Message -----
From: Kronmiller / Washington
To: members at abellimprovement.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 11:34 PM
Subject: [AIA Members] Be a Community for Families Devastated by HurricaneKatrina

Here's How We Can Help Today And Tomorrow: Adopt A Family.

Hi. I'm your neighbor, Mary Washington. My friend of 25 years (Sandra) lives in NYC and has personal knowledge of 2 large extended families whom have lost everything in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.  These relatives are now spread all over Arkansas, Louisiana, South Carolina and Texas and are dependent upon their 2 respective kin with a permanent address.  Mrs. Peggy Smith and Ms. Lauren Williams have asked us to help them provide for the IMMEDIATE and ongoing needs of clothing, toiletries, soap, toothpaste, deodorant, lotions, sanitary napkin/tampons, twin size bed sheets and other toiletries of their relatives.  Gift cards are also suggested so that they can purchase what they need.

Friends, we will keep track of these people over the next few weeks and months and offer our support and help them along the long road toward a place they can call home.

Please send donations to:

Mrs. Peggy Smith

924 Washington St.

Benton, Louisiana 71006

She is housing three families. Gift Cards can come from Target, Wal-Mart, Sears and JCPenny.

Please send donations can go to:

Lauren Williams

3335 Brenken Ridge Drive

Houston, Texas 77066

(281) 440-0989

24 members of the  Alexander and Scott Families are relying on her.

Gift Cards can come from - Costco, Sam's Club, Old Navy, Walmart, K-Mart,

                                                  Stores for food and clothing.

**** Both women will not only get these supplies to their family but will also give to people in nearby shelters whom have no-one in a position to help them.

Together we can make a difference, one family at a time,

Mary Washington

Want to do more??

These Local and National Relief and Advocacy Efforts also need your home, time or money.

Local:

Baltimore Community Foundation

http://www.bcf.org/newsreleases/083105hurricane.html

Baltimore City

http://www.baltiomorecity.gov

If you have an extra room or apartment and willing to house families from New Orleans, please call 311.

National:

American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

http://www.aspca.org

Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now

http://acorn.org

Habitat for Humanity

http://www.habitat.org

Hurricane Housing.Org a project of MoveOn.org

http://www.hurricanehousing.org

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People

This is the site for the NAACP Disaster Relief Fund.
http://store.yahoo.com/naacp-donate1/