[Chat] sweet potato greens

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Sat Sep 10 19:08:28 EDT 2005

Hello, everyone,

On our trip to China, Kathleen and I got to eat sweet
potato greens.  It's a typical vegetable in southern China,
where the warm, wet climate is friendly to rice, sweet potatoes,
peanuts, and grapefruit.  When we got back, Kathleen told
Joan of One Straw Farm about this.  Last week, she brought
some sweet potato greens to the market and marked it up
as a new item on the chalkboard.  The greens sold well,
people liked them, so this week, she came back with more
sweet potato greens.  They taste a lot like spinach,
and we like them.  In China, they serve them stir-fried
with garlic.

Last weekend in the Sun, a reader sent a question to
the garden column asking whether you could eat sweet
potato greens.  The column replied that you can, and
that they are very nutitious, which is what we were
told in China.

We saw Chef John Shields at Gertrude's a few weeks ago,
and told him about the sweet potato greens we had in
China.  He had never heard of eating them but wanted
to try them out.  Since Baltimore has a Chinese sister
city, Xiamen, on the SE coast of China, we decided that
John would have to visit China in order to continue
his research for his book "Coastal Cooking".

Is it possible that there is a mysterious Sweet Potato
Greens Convergence taking place in Baltimore?

Emil Volcheck
volcheck at acm.org
http://acm.org/~volcheck