[Chat] Planet Aid and financial info (was Clothes donation)

Private Person periwrinkled at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 9 23:13:34 EST 2006

Dear All,

Yeah, Planet Aid has been under a lot if suspicion over the years, perhaps
merely for the "black box" (yellow box?) nature of dropping clothes in and
not knowing what happens next.  Though I don't really know if the suspicion
is warranted, they are a multi-million dollar organization, and -- I'm no
economist -- it seems that the dollars that go overseas are a
disproportionately small percentage of the dollars that move through the
organization.

For example, from their 2004 tax return:
Gross receipts: $18,222,381.
Gross sales of inventory: $9,968,728.
Less cost of goods sold: $9,689,682.   [that looks odd to me, for donated
clothes?]
Grants & Allocations: $1,789,076.   [what they give away?]

This may well be overly suspicious of me, but it seems kind of strange that
on the website, they don't give the locations of their resale shops.

One thing is for sure -- there's a lot of fuel burned in shipping things
around and another $1.8 million in salaries to manage all that, whereas if
you donate to a local organization, you can avoid these environmental and
financial costs.  My personal rule of thumb is to give *stuff* locally and
give cash to organizations that do good work far away.

You can look at the tax forms for non-profits at guidestar.org.

Peace,
Dorrie