[Chat] state historic tax credit

Ted To forums at theo.to
Sun Jan 1 13:17:27 EST 2006

I noticed this change earlier this year when my wife and I submitted our
application.  I was somewhat concerned when I saw this as we were
planning to renovate our kitchen as well.  As I understand it, they do
not require kitchen renovations to be historically accurate -- imagine
trying to cook in a historic, turn-of-the-century kitchen.  However,
this means that in order to discourage people from getting tax credits
to simply remodel their fully functioning kitchen they made this rule
change.

If you have not already submitted an application that was turned down, I
imagine you can get credit for the ceiling and the window replacement
but not the rest of the kitchen.  Generally it is a good idea to apply
for approval before you start work (as we did) and they will tell you
what you can and can't do and suggest changes to your application that
will pass muster.

Ted To