[Chat] Attempted break in

Linda Forlifer LEF at press.jhu.edu
Fri Oct 13 11:26:30 EDT 2006

Hi Kathleen,

I noted (on JHU reports and from neighbors) recent incidents of thieves
(or the same thief) climbing up to people's back 2nd-floor porches to
get in windows and doors.  It's not that hard for a strong young man to
do.

One of my close neighbors heard someone in her roommate's bedroom about
10:00 p.m. (when she knew no one else was home) and then saw him escape
from their 2nd floor apartment.

Always insist on a police report; otherwise the incident/crime did not
happen, is not officially counted or noted.  I've been told to do so and
that it is a citizen's right.  The police, of course, would rather not,
because it's more work for them.  But when resources are allocated,
incidents without a written report (and number) are invisible.

I depend on my dog to scare off bad guys, but I really should do more
to secure the second floor (deadbolt locks, window locks).

Glad you're both okay!

Linda

>>> kwilsbach at speakeasy.net 10/13/2006 10:53:31 AM >>>
Sunday night someone attempted to break into our back second floor
bedroom.  Emil was already in bed (about 2:30 AM) but I had gotten
up to check a scheduling problem I thought I might have Monday and
was on the computer in the front second floor room.  Emil called to
me asking if I had heard something.  I called back that I hadn't.
We chalked it up to noise from next door or out in the alley.

The next day when I pulled up the blinds in the bedroom, a small
flower pot on our outside bedroom windowsill had been moved.
Then I noticed that the screen was pushed up and a plastic
chair on the balcony was moved to be in front of the window
(so someone could stand on it presumably).  We did call 311
and they send a couple of officers to come and look.  They
were very nice but didn't take a report.  They said they'd
make a note to put our house on some sort of special watch
list for a couple of nights.

We don't have stairs from our back 1st floor deck to the second
floor one but the house next door is 3 apartment so they have
connecting steps (required by fire law to have a back exit from every
apartment).  I assume the person came up there stairs and climbed
over the rail separating our two decks but was then scared
away when Emil called to me.  Very scary.  So, be aware and watchful.

-Kathleen
--
Kathleen Wilsbach
kwilsbach at mac.com