[Chat] Assessment notices...nothing like it for rousing New Year cheer

Rob Carlson rob at vees.net
Mon Dec 31 23:11:43 EST 2007

Our home in Parkville climbed from an actual sale price of $121k in
2002 to appraised value of $198k today, or about 8.5% per year over
six years.

 From its sale in 1992 at $102k to my purchase in 2002 the price of
the home raised by only $18,150, or 1.6% per year over ten years.

I can't imagine that I would get that much on the open market today
(if it were possible to sell at all -- some neighbors have been on
the market for over 12 months now), but comparable properties that
_have_ sold went for no less than $200k in the last 12 months, so
it's hard for me to pull an example from recent local real estate
transactions that proves the new valuation is poorly founded.

Is it reasonable to protest the increase on the basis that my house
is not a better investment vehicle than my 401(k) in the dot com
boom? This is housing bubble logic, pure and simple.

--
Rob Carlson  rob at vees.net  http://vees.net/