[Chat] [Discussion] Fwd: Crime Alert

Christine Gray langwidge at erols.com
Mon May 7 13:18:32 EDT 2007

My recent experience is not nearly so serious, but it was a local “near
crime.”

I pulled into the Safeway parking lot one afternoon.

The woman whose car was parked in front of mine said that I hit her car, and
she showed me some scratches on her bumper..

I knew that I had not hit her at all!!  But she insisted on calling the
police.

She told them that I was irate and becoming dangerous.  I was stunned
because nothing at all had happened.  I didn’t know what to do.

So I got in y car to wait for the police.

After 20 minutes, during which she chatted with friends on her cell phone, I
told her I was going shopping and to get me when the police came.

I mentioned this to the security guard at Safeway.  He said that this was a
common scam and to forget it.  I learned that the scam works like this:
someone tells you that you have damaged their car.  They threaten to call
police, hoping that you will offer to pay them to have their car repaired so
that your insurance won’t go up.

When I came out, I told the woman that I was leaving and I left.  Apparently
it was a scam, for she did not follow or speak.  Fortunately, I was so naïve
that I didn’t offer any money to her!

BTW, she is a young black woman driving a teal green Malibu!!!

(This same thing happened to a friend in the Bolton Hill area.)

Christine Gray

  _____