[Chat] Concert tonight at Saint John's UMC

Kate Khatib kate at manifestor.org
Tue Sep 18 13:10:20 EDT 2007

Hello Charles Village neighbors!

This is Kate - I'm one of the folks who's working on helping Saint John's Church - at the corner of 27th & Saint Paul - raise money to renovate the building by organizing events; I've probably met some of you at recent events or around the neighborhood!

I just wanted to let everyone know that we have a concert this evening (Tuesday) that looks like it's going to be pretty big, bigger than we expected, so I wanted to give you all a heads-up about what will be happening so it's not a shock when you see hundreds of people flooding in and out of the building this evening!

The concert is three one-man-bands, White Williams, Dan Deacon, and Girltalk.  They all play pop/experimental/electronic music, and Dan Deacon's actually a local, so we're happy to have him performing at the space!  It's an all-ages concert, and it's a no-alcohol show - we will have a full security team who will be making sure there's no drinking on or around the premises, and generally keeping an eye on everyone who is outside and trying to keep folks as quiet as possible when they're outside the building.  The show starts at 8PM, and will be over by 11PM, so hopefully it won't disrupt anyone's sleep schedule!

I know that parking is always a concern when there are big events going on in the neighborhood, so we've arranged free parking for folks attending the concert a couple of blocks away at the Ottobar.  This won't solve the problem, but it should help, and I hope you'll all bear with us tonight and excuse the inconvenience -- we're trying to find a better long-term solution for this, to minimize the impact of large events at Saint John's in the future.

We'd love to to see all of you at the concert tonight!  Folks in the neighborhood have been so supportive of what we're trying to do at Saint John's and it's been phenomenal to have all of that great response!  But we also want to be good neighbors, and make sure that what we're doing over at the church is a positive benefit for Charles Village, and not a nuisance.  So please keep in dialogue with us about all of this.  You can always email me if you have questions or concerns, or you can call me (my cell number is below), or you can talk to anyone from the congregation or Pastor Drew - we're all working together to try to save the Saint John's building for generations to come!

If you want to see what's planned for the next couple of months at the Saint John's events space, you can visit http://www.redemmas.org/2640!

Thanks for your time and your understanding!

Kate Khatib
for 2640 Saint Paul Street/Saint John's Church

--
kate khatib
the humanities center | johns hopkins university