[Chat] stolen packages from porch

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Wed Dec 10 20:37:40 EST 2008

Hello, neighbors,

I had a package stolen off our porch last week.
It seems like this has been happening to others
as well.  I've appended a note from Dana Moore.
When I reorder the item, I'll ask for signature
delivery, or for it to be held somewhere.

The last time we had a package stolen from our
porch was a year ago December.  I guess it's
the holidays!

I really ought to make a police report as well.

Thanks,

--Emil

------------

Good morning everyone.

I received the following note last night from one of our neighbors.
Seems as though the old trick of following the mailman (or woman, or
FedEx guy/gal, or UPS gal/guy) and then picking packages placed
on porches has returned.  Please be aware of the potential for "lost"
packages delivered and left on your porch.

If you are expecting a package to be delivered to your home and know
that you will not be there to receive it, consider asking that it be
held at the post (UPS, FedEx) office for you to pick up.  Another
option might be to ask a neighbor to be on the lookout for deliveries
and to pick up your packages for you.  Though not convenient for most
of us who are working, it might make sense to arrange to be at home on
the day a delivery is expected.

As always, if you see suspicious persons on your porch or that of your
neighbor, especially somebody dressed as Santa Claus or Rudolph, do
not hesitate to call 911 to report a suspicious person.

If you have other ideas on how to reduce the risk of becoming a victim
to this type of crime please send it to me by email.  I'll share it
with the Charles Village email group.

Thanks.

Dana Moore

--