[Chat] stolen packages from porch

John Spurrier jfspur at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 11 10:03:36 EST 2008

I am curious as to whether the stolen packages were actually delivered by
the US Postal Service, UPS or FedEx. Charles Village should not be a driver
release area for UPS meaning that a signature should be required for all
deliveries.

I personally choose to have internet purchases delivered to my office
because there will always be someone there during business hours
to accept them.

If the manpower were available a sting operation would probably help
the police apprehend those responsible for the thefts, which likely
are a federal offense.

John> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:37:40 -0500> From: volcheck at acm.org> To: chat at charlesvillage.info> CC: DPMoore2 at venable.com> Subject: [Chat] stolen packages from porch> > Hello, neighbors,> > I had a package stolen off our porch last week.> It seems like this has been happening to others> as well. I've appended a note from Dana Moore.> When I reorder the item, I'll ask for signature> delivery, or for it to be held somewhere.> > The last time we had a package stolen from our> porch was a year ago December. I guess it's> the holidays!> > I really ought to make a police report as well.> > Thanks,> > --Emil> > ------------> > Good morning everyone.> > I received the following note last night from one of our neighbors.> Seems as though the old trick of following the mailman (or woman, or> FedEx guy/gal, or UPS gal/guy) and then picking packages placed> on porches has returned. Please be aware of the potential for "lost"> packages delivered and left on your porch.> > If you are expecting a package to be delivered to your home and know> that you will not be there to receive it, consider asking that it be> held at the post (UPS, FedEx) office for you to pick up. Another> option might be to ask a neighbor to be on the lookout for deliveries> and to pick up your packages for you. Though not convenient for most> of us who are working, it might make sense to arrange to be at home on> the day a delivery is expected.> > As always, if you see suspicious persons on your porch or that of your> neighbor, especially somebody dressed as Santa Claus or Rudolph, do> not hesitate to call 911 to report a suspicious person.> > If you have other ideas on how to reduce the risk of becoming a victim> to this type of crime please send it to me by email. I'll share it> with the Charles Village email group.> > Thanks.> > Dana Moore> > > > -- > Emil Volcheck> volcheck at acm.org> http://EmilVolcheck.com/> > _______________________________________________> Chat mailing list> Chat at charlesvillage.info> http://charlesvillage.info/mailman/listinfo/chat_charlesvillage.info> archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/chat@charlesvillage.info/