[Chat] Assessment notices...nothing like it for rousing New Year cheer

WeinsteinM at aol.com WeinsteinM at aol.com
Tue Jan 1 01:01:55 EST 2008

According to www.dat.state.md.us, here are all the sales on Abell Avenue
(where I live) in 2007:
Date             Address                  Price
10/17/07     3042 ABELL AVE     0
10/10/07     3019 ABELL AVE     275,000
9/25/07     3107 ABELL AVE     280,000
8/20/07     3245 ABELL AVE     275,000
8/17/07     3028 ABELL AVE     264,000
8/16/07     3309 ABELL AVE     283,000
8/16/07     3307 ABELL AVE     174,900
7/25/07     3307 ABELL AVE     140,000
7/23/07     3236 ABELL AVE     268,000
6/14/07     3136 ABELL AVE     235,000
6/12/07     3043 ABELL AVE     281,000
5/8/07            3202 ABELL AVE     0
4/9/07            3205 ABELL AVE     280,000
1/4/07            3006 ABELL AVE     0

Presumably the zeros are refinances.    So there were 11 sales, of which
eight were above $260,000

My reassessment takes me from $89,720 to $246,080.   On the one hand, this is
incredible.   On the other hand, this is apparently probably less than my
house is worth.   So it doesn't seem likely that I could successfully appeal the
new assesssment.

One thing that will be interesting to see is whether the new higher
assessments will have a negative effect on sales prices, since new owners pay the full
valuation with no 4%-per-year cap.

Happy 2008...

-Matthew