[Chat] "The Wire" podcast, was Fwd: 3/3 News from Marc Steiner and the Center for Emerging Media

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Mon Mar 3 22:10:55 EST 2008

Hello, neighbors,

If you're a fan of The Wire, don't miss the series of podcast interviews
by Marc Steiner and the Center for Emerging Media.  Each day this
week, CEM is doing an interview with somebody from The Wire.
Kathleen and I just finished listening to Marc's interview with Ed Burns,

  http://www.switchpod.com/users/cem/edburnsfinalMP3.mp3

producer and writer for the show.  Ed talked about his own background.
He said that when he started working in the Western District, he regarded
it in much the same way as he did as a soldier in Vietnam.  Ed talked
about the message of the show.  Marc asked him why it was that so
often sympathetic characters on the show end up dead.  (Think Deangelo
Barksdale, or Stringer Bell after he tried to get Avon into real estate
and out of drugs.)  Ed replied "If you don't attend to the politics of the
institution you're in, what happens is that you get ground down."
Marc said "Amen to that" and laughed, because in some sense,
that's why he was fired, because he wouldn't go along with the
politics of the Station Manager and Board of Directors.

It's a good interview, about 15 minutes long, MP3 format.

--Emil