[Chat] Baltimore election-night story in the media

Kevin Zeese kzeese at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 6 08:08:27 EST 2008

I realize they have a tough job, but Baltimore police need to be brought
under control.

KZ

POLICE THUGGERY
============

Baltimore election-night story on  http://markcrispinmiller.blogspot.com

-    Joe

Obama party-goers tasered, thrown in jail
<http://markcrispinmiller.blogspot.com/2008/11/obama-party-goers-tasered-thr
own-in.html>
In Baltimore, a Democratic city.

MCM

Mark --

I have to be brief because I've been awake now for almost 35 hours.
I was rounded up along with a dozen or so other people last night at
an impromptu Obama celebration in Baltimore and jailed. My crime?
Photographing the Baltimore cops as they loaded people into a paddy
wagon. The crowd was very well-behaved -- mostly Hopkins students
overjoyed with the Obama victory. A phalanx of cops moved in and
started arbitrarily arresting people. They tased an undergraduate
for trying to get back into his building -- after asking him to go
inside. It was insane. I started taking photos with my cell phone as
they lined up cuffed college kids, professors, etc. and a cop
approached me. "I'm a journalist," I said (I freelance for Baltimore
City Paper) and he knocked the phone out of my hand onto the street.
"Write a nice long st! ory about this," he said, spun me around, and he
and another cop cuffed me with flexi-cuffs and loaded me into the
police van.

This was 2am last night (Tuesday). I served as an election judge all
day, and the last thing I expected was to spend the night in
Baltimore City lockup. Unreal.

The dangerous thugs the police decided to jail included me (an
election judge, writer, and employee of the Bloomberg School of
Public Health), TWO professors of anthropology at Hopkins, a
Baltimore City school teacher, and a variety of students. It was one
student's birthday. The student who was tasered had bruises on his
wrists from the cuffs and a bruised eye. Truly a dangerous group of
criminals.

We were released this morning -- no charges were brought against us.
We're getting together as a group to see what recourse we have. One
of the anthropology profs, Aaron Goodfellow, has contacted the ACLU
and I'm going t! o follow-up. There were lots of students with cell
phones, videocams, and cameras, so I'm hoping some of this was
caught on tape.

City Paper has a very brief clip on its site:

http://www.citypaper.com/digest.asp?id=16987

Thanks, Mark. I thought you and your readers should know about this.

Michael Hughes

Joe Adams
cell: 410-812-1447 __._,_.___

All postings to the SAVE Our Votes Core list are confidential and may not be
shared off-list without the explicit permission of all authors of the
posting.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97476590/grpId=18579637/grpspId=1707426356/msgI
d=3566/stime=1225947575>

Change settings via the Web
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOV-Core/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJnYWp2YzllBF9TAzk3ND
c2NTkwBGdycElkAzE4NTc5NjM3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNzQyNjM1NgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNzdG5ncw
RzdGltZQMxMjI1OTQ3NTc1>  (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest
<mailto:SOV-Core-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
| Switch to Fully Featured
<mailto:SOV-Core-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Fo
rmat:%20Fully%20Featured>
Visit Your Group
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOV-Core;_ylc=X3oDMTJlOGFiMXRmBF9TAzk3NDc2NTk
wBGdycElkAzE4NTc5NjM3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNzQyNjM1NgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWU
DMTIyNTk0NzU3NQ--> | Yahoo! Groups  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
Terms of Use | Unsubscribe
<mailto:SOV-Core-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>