[Chat] The Baltimore Lyceum Fall Term

David O'Donaghue druben2 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 12 11:58:33 EDT 2008

The Baltimore Lyceum Classes for Fall of 2008

The Baltimore Lyceum classes are free and open to the public but space is limited. Please call David O’Donaghue at 410-523-4182 to reserve a place in these classes. Or you can email him at: druben2 at hotmail.com. Make sure you are committed to attending before you reserve a place.

Art Group Open Studio

If you enjoy doing art but have found that you just don’t make the time for it, come meet with us every other Saturday afternoon. We meet is a sort of open studio format. People bring their own material and work on their own projects but we work together establishing a creative atmosphere and good conversation. Sometimes we work on collective projects.

Time: Alternate Saturdays beginning September 13. 2:00-5:00
Place: 3045 Guilford Ave
Facilitator: David O’Donaghue

Theatre of Change Acting Troupe

This is an ongoing group dedicated to presenting theatre in the mental health community for education and interaction. We follow Augusto Boal’s practice, known as the Theatre of the Oppressed to present dilemmas common in the mental health community in order to engage in interaction and change. Participants must themselves have mental health history or be sensitive to the life situations of people that do.

Time Alternative Saturdays beginning September 6th  , 10:00am
Place: 3045 Guilford Ave
Facilitator: David O’Donaghue

A Reading of Plato’s Timaeus

This small group seminar will slowly read the Timaeus of Plato together and discuss the content of the work in order to try to understand it more deeply. No prior experience with philosophy is necessary. Required: the Jowett translation of the Timaeus.

Time: Alternate Thursdays beginning October 9th, 7:30
Place: 3045 Guilford Ave
Facilitators: David O’Donaghue and Ed Kaitz

The Poetry of  Rainer Maria Rilke

This class will look at selections from two of the major poetry collections of Rilke: The Duino Elegies and the Sonnets to Orpheus. We will meet to read together and be introduced to background materials about Rilke’s life and his place in intellectual history and poetry.

Time: Alternative Wednesdays starting October 8th, 7:30
Place: 3045 Guilford Ave
Facilitator: David O’Donaghue

Exploration through Creative Movement

This is a small group of people who wish to explore inner resources, group dynamics and spiritual connections through the vehicle of movement. We will gather together, meditate and move, without words and then have a brief process time at the end of the session.

Time: TBA
Place: TBA
Facilitator: TBA

Aging with Grace

A six session conversation -
Informal discussion of aging with grace
physically, emotionally, socially, financially,
spiritually, and finally facing Death.

Limited to 10 persons
Register at 410 747-7050

Place: Catonsville, MD
Time: Sundays, 2pm; Sept. 28, Oct. 12, 26, Nov. 9, 23, Dec. 7
 Facilitator: Ed Kaitz

Beginning Chinese Language

Study spoken Mandarin Chinese Language. Learn Chinese phonetics (pinyin). Learn simple conversation skills and Chinese culture. Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to engage in simple, limited conversation in Chinese. Prerequisite: None. Text: Ultimate Mandarin Chinese.

Time: TBA
Place: TBA
Facilitator: Tian Lim

Baltimore Lyceum Community Sing along Offerings:

Community Beatles Sing along

Sat., Sept 13th, 7pm - 10pm
in Charles Village, Baltimore

We will be playing and singing an all Beatles program, to include whatever Beatles songs people know and can lead.
Please come prepared to sing and lead if you can. Bring your guitar, or other instrument if you know Beatles tunes or can strum along.
Please also bring a beverage or snack to share with other Beatle enthusiasts!

Call   Ed Kaitz at 410 747-7050 for directions and to reserve a spot, as space is limited to first 20 persons.

Classic Rock Sing along Friday, Nov. 7th

 7-10 pm at the Village Learning Place

The Baltimore Lyceum will be sponsoring a night of Classic Rock sing-alongs.  Come to enjoy, follow, or lead songs by Neil Young, CSNY, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin, Donovan, the Grateful Dead, Rod Stewart, Cream and the likes. Guitar players and keyboard players who know tunes particularly welcome. We encourage you to bring lyric sheets to share if you can.

Motown Sing along Sat. Dec. 6th, 6-9 pm

The Baltimore Lyceum is hosting an evening of Motown songs to sing in community. Come and enjoy, follow, or lead a song by Smokey Robinson, the Temptations, James Brown, The Supremes, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin and the likes. Guitar players and keyboard players who know tunes and can lead are particularly welcome. We encourage you to bring extra lyric sheets if you can.

STAY TUNED: Baltimore History Evenings in the Winter term

Come meet some of the legends of Baltimore and share in a conversation about their experiences with some aspect of Baltimore history. This is a fascinating city and we want to tap into these human treasures in our community to hear from them some of the interesting issues about the city in by-gone days and relate them to our current situation.

This will be a once a month event offered at the Village Learning Place beginning in January.

Facilitator: Mike Franch