[Chat] Defender's Day; September the 11th

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Thu Sep 11 23:41:27 EDT 2008

Hello, neighbors,

On this day, September the 11th, 231 years ago,
General George Washington was defeated by
General William Howe at the Battle of the Brandywine:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Brandywine

This was a crucial battle of the Revolutionary War
and this defeat led to the occupation of Philadelphia
by British forces.

On this day, 194 years ago, the British landed near
North Point and began an advance on Baltimore.
The Battle of North Point was fought the next day.
The British siege on Fort McHenry and the Battle
of Baltimore began on September 13th.

Tomorrow we celebrate Defender's Day to commemorate
the American victory.

And on this day, seven years ago, was the terrorist
attack that we all think of when we hear "9/11".

It's an interesting coincidence that our nation has had
at least three eventful 9/11's.