[Chat] Follow up: tonight's dog attack and Baltimore law

Paul Williams oldhousehistory at aol.com
Wed Dec 2 21:51:01 EST 2009

The CV Chat and Discussion listserves are not seemingly sending submissions
to recipients in a timely fashion for subscribers for an immediate posting
(sans digest) but this is a problem for us subscribers using this venue for
a current emergency alert.   I'm a CV resident - but in DC during the week,
but when this attack took place to my partner this evening, I had hoped
everyone on the list would have been alerted (sans digest recipients). The
victim of this attack, in fact, is a member of both CV list-serves, but has
unfortunately relied on me forwarding both alerts and responses emails.

In any event, from tonight's (WED Dec 2, 6 PM) vicious dog attack:

Our 12 year old greyhound is at Ardmore for a few days, as Greg just took
him there this evening - one of their vet techs is our house sitter, in
fact.

We're not sure of the actual house number where the dog came running off the
porch, but we are within a few houses, so it won't take long - with animal
registration requirements.  It's also unclear if those taunting the Pit Bull
to kill our dog were on the owner's porch or next door, but that will also
become clear with further investigation from proper authorities.

Incredibly, and completely incomprehensible, was that police arrived and
determined that if the human under attack had no serious injuries - a finger
lost, a baby mauled, or worse, the Police said they must hand the entire
case over to Animal Control (note that the cop was so nice and offered to
administer first aid to Greg and offered a ride to the vet.   Animal Control
is the agency in charge.  Apparently our dogs can be mauled to death, a dog
owner under attack can sustain bleeding and bruising and physiological
injuries, but no police record is necessary under the law, and in fact, no
follow up that may help in even a civil case down the road.  That needs to
change NOW.

Police do not go door to door to find the owner of the dog in question, only
Animal Control.   Police are not able by law to tell us which porch this
vicious animal came from.  We cannot learn from police calls (our own, a
witness, and a follow up witness) where the offending dog resides: we need
to only call animal control.  So, I'm guessing the Animal Control called
tonight from our communal police calls found the few houses in question
tonight dark and unresponsive, and I suspect that the pit bull in question
was removed to another location for a month or two to hide from authorities.

I'm not one to sit back and take this injustice, so we will be organizing
massive media attention to our unjust Baltimore City laws, just revealed to
us tonight in these most unfortunate circumstances.  It is time to take back
our city and expose to the masses on a national level what we have just
learned tonight with which is a common practice that can affect every dog
and cat owner, and even parents with small children!

In the immediate future, if you have a small child in a baby carriage, any
size dog, or even a roaming cat, AVOID the 2700 block of Guilford Ave, as
the owner of this young Pit Bull conveyed verbally and rather clearly during
the attack that "there is nothing I can do."

Look forward to an immediate community call for action, growing media event,
and exposure that this is a truly flawed Baltimore City law, which we will
push for CHANGE for us citizens living in Charles Village.

Paul K. Williams

Kelsey & Associates, Inc.

1929 13th Street, NW

Washington, DC 20009