[Chat] Erroneous Tax Bill Notices

Paul Burk burkpaul at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 11 09:40:27 EST 2009

A couple of days ago, I received a bill from the city saying that I had not paid my Special Benefits District surcharge (for the CVCBD), and that I had until the end of the month to pay up. Since I had already paid my CVCBD bill for the year, I figured this was a mistake. When I called to ask about it, I was told that this bill had indeed been sent out in error. Apparently, many homeowners in the city's Special Benefits Districts, including the CVCBD, received a similar, erroneous bill. If you received a similar bill from the city (and your CVCBD surtax is paid up), disregard it. The city will be sending out retractions explaining the error. A short article about this billing error appeared in today's Baltimore Sun, the text of which is pasted below.Paul BurkBaltimore sends out tax bill notices with errorsFebruary 11, 2009Baltimore City officials acknowledged yesterday sending erroneous tax bill notices to property owners in the Midtown, Charles Village and Waterfront Management districts. The city is reviewing the files to determine the extent of the billing errors and will send follow-up letters to property owners when the mistakes are corrected. City officials anticipate the errors will be corrected by March. The errors are limited to liens for special benefit district taxes levied on properties in those neighborhoods.