[Chat] Fw: A Message From Arjay's Niece Willow

Willow Wingate willowwingate at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 17 20:05:21 EST 2009

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Willow Wingate <willowwingate at yahoo.com>
To: discussion at charlesvillage.info; discussion at charlesvillage.info
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2009 7:53:50 PM
Subject: A Message From Arjay's Niece Willow

Dear Friends of Arjay/Richard Johnson,

Richard Temple Johnson aka "Arjay" was my uncle (my mother's brother-in-law.)
He was very dear to me and like a father. He would often refer to himself as "Tio Ricardo" (in his best latino accent.)

We're all very sad and are still in shock and disbelief that he's suddenly gone from our lives (physically, as he'll always be with us in spirit.) I feel especially sorry for his daughter Anne Johnson, a young woman of only 21 years. She's doing okay but will need a lot of love and support.

Uncle Rick's brother, Bill, (Dr. William R. Johnson of Columbia, MD) found Arjay and this has been very hard on him. They were very close. Arjay is also survived by his parents, Mr. & Mrs. William R. Johnson, Sr, of Ellicott City (they're in their 90's,) his daughter Anne and ex-wife, Rebecca Johnson, of Guilford, and my other aunt, Louise Morgan of Towson.

Uncle Rick was a Mechanical Engineer with Phoenix International in Laurel, Maryland. He was only 67 years old. Apparently he was very sick with what we think was the flu. He was last seen by his friend Roger on Sunday December 28th. Bill discoverd him on Wednesday December 31st. We've been told by the medical examiner that he died of an abdominal aortic aneurysm. He was cremated on Friday January 2nd..

I want to thank those of you who inquired about his memorial service. Initially the service was to be on Saturday, January 24th due to existing weekend travel plans that Bill had for the subsequent weekends following Uncle Rick's death.

I received an E-mail from William Schlegel regarding the service on Saturday January 31st. The details are as follows:

Historic Oakland Manor
5430 Vantage Point Rd.

Saturday, January 31st at 11 AM

Directions to Historic Oakland
From Baltimore:
I-95 South to Route 175 (Columbia).  Follow Route 175 West for 5.3 miles. Turn left at Vantage Point Road, follow for 3/10 mile.  Turn right at the OAKLAND sign.
or
I-695 South to I-70 West. South on Route 29 to Route 175 West (exit 20b).  At 2nd stop light, turn left at Vantage Point Road, follow for 3/10 mile. Turn right at the OAKLAND sign.

I have been unable to reach Arjay's brother Bill as to whether there's still a service on the 24th. He's out of town and I left a message today. I'll post a new message as soon as I know anything more.

And, thanks to John Spurrier for the photo of Uncle Rick with his conga drum. There are so many things that I'd like to write but I don't know any of you and am not comfy with going into all of my thoughts. Suffice it to say that I loved my uncle and I'll miss him so much. He was a kind soul deep down despite his "grumpy old man" routine.

Regards,
Willow Wingate
Columbia, MD  21044