[Chat] Fwd: Please help spread the word

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Tue Mar 31 13:55:38 EDT 2009

Here is some information about a session in the neighborhood next Monday
promoting a single payer health plan.  If you are not familiar with the
issues, you may want to attend.

Incidentally, we already have a single payer plan for seniors; it is
called Medicare.  As one who has Medicare, I can say that it works quite
well.  The problem with many single payer plans outside the U.S.
including the one in Canada is that they are underfunded.  On the other
hand, medical care in the U.S. generally costs much more than it should,
since we support a huge insurance industry.  But the overhead costs for
Medicare are very low (except for the Medicare HMOs which get more money
than traditional Medicare thanks to subsidies thrown in by Republicans
under Bush).  Anyway, if you are interested, you can attend the session
at St. John's on St. Paul St.

Steve.