[Chat] watch repair

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Mon Oct 12 22:10:47 EDT 2009

Christine,

Thanks for this referral.  I did get around to contacting Mark Mitchell.
It turns out that he does only clocks -- not watches.
The Urbanite did an article on Read St. stores that quotes
Mr. Mitchell.  His shop is #3 on the list here:

    http://www.urbanitebaltimore.com/includes/print.cfm?sectionID=4&IssueID=20&ArticleID=174&print=1

Mitchell referred me to Burke Pieper: (410) 252-8024.
Burke works out of the Baltimore Gold and Silver Co.
on Charles St., just north of Saratoga.  I brought my
watch there and spoke to one staff member who said
he would do a quick check.  If it needed repairs, they
would leave it for Burke, who is their expert.  As it turns
out, the watch started running again after they opened
the case and adjusted the stem.  They didn't charge
me anything for the ten minutes of their time they spent
looking at it, which was a surprise to me.  I was prepared
to pay at least a small charge.  In any case, I haven't
needed to call Mr. Pieper, but I can say that the Baltimore
Gold and Silver Co. are good people to deal with.

--Emil

--
Emil Volcheck
volcheck at acm.org