[Chat] Check utility lines

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Wed Feb 10 14:24:38 EST 2010

In this crazy weather, some utility wires are weighted down by ice or by
tree limbs that have a lot of ice on them.

In my own case, I have a dogwood in back.  A thin branch had a huge
icicle hanging down from its end, and the branch was putting a lot of
weight on my phone cable.  Fortunately, I was able without too much
difficulty to cut off the end of the branch, thus saving my phone
service.  I can only imagine how long it would have taken to get service
restored if the cable had broken.

Based on that experience, I would advise everyone to check utility
lines.  But, *stay away from electric lines*.  It is too easy to get
yourself electrocuted.

Also, the downspout in back of my house came down under the weight of a
huge icicle.  Fortunately, replacing it after the snow is gone will not
be a big deal.  But I will not be surprised if we have a lot of such
damage in CV.

This is a really vicious storm.  With all the wind now, there is no
point to shoveling until the wind dies down.  Stay inside (except for
problems like utility wires and downspouts) and stay safe.

Steve.