[Chat] Suspicious activity

SLG2700 at cs.com SLG2700 at cs.com
Thu Apr 21 13:47:48 EDT 2011

Dear Neighbors:

At every Safety Meeting I have ever attended the Northern District Police
officers have repeatedly warned us of the scam used by burglars to case the
block for a good break-in prospect.  Burglars will knock on the door to see
if anyone answers the door and when someone does they pretend to have the
wrong address. After you shut the door they will keep knocking on doors until
they find a home where no one is home and which has an easy point of illegal
entry.  When this happens to us, the police advise us to get as good a
description of the persons as possible and to call 911 immediately to report
suspicious activity by persons who appear to be casing the block looking for a
place to break in.  You will get a quicker response from the police if you
use a good description, call immediately, and use your crime watch number.  By
now, everyone in Charles Village should have a crime watch number.  If you
do not, please go online to the CVCA website at www.charlesvillage.net,
download one, and fax it to the Northern District fax number and put in "CVCA"
for the Community Association and you should get your number in the mail in
about 10 days to two weeks.  With a crime watch number your call will be
treated more seriously than an anonymous call because the police officers are
skeptical of the veracity of the call when the called does not want to be
identified. With a crime watch number, you can remain anonymous to the
perpetrator but the police know that their is a valid citizen complaint behind the
call.  By being good crime prevention partners with the Northern District
police, we will keep our neighborhood safer and criminals will learn to go
elsewhere because Charles Village is filled with vigilant residents.

By copy of this to Steve Gerwitz, I ask him to circulate this message to
the discussion list as well and any other lists where the initial warning was
published.

Thank you.

Sharon Guida, Chair, CVCA Safety Committee