[Chat] Stabbing on 3000-block of Guilford

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Wed Aug 24 09:03:16 EDT 2011

Emil,

My wife woke me up last night about 11 because there were police cars
and ambulances near the other end of the block.  When  I spoke to people
closer to the scene than your house, they told me that the victim had
been stabbed in the mouth and the shoulder and was expected to recover.
It is certainly fortunate that he is expected to recover.

Let us hope that the perpetrator is caught quickly.  Fortunately,
Northern District generally does a good job of catching criminals.

And when there is an arrest, I certainly plan to follow the court
proceedings closely.  My reports generally go on the discussion list.

Fortunately, what happened last night is rare on our block.  I do not
recall any crime like this one in the 41 years that I have lived on the
block.

On the other hand, there was a burglary on our block early one morning
in June where the perpetrator rifled through kitchen knives, left them,
and left the house with 4 bottles of wine.  If he had been surprised by
the victim, it might have been tragic.  As it happened, the alleged
perpetrator, Thomas Causion, was arrested drinking the wine on
Greenmount Avenue minutes after the burglary, is currently in jail
apparently unable to post $55,000 bail, and is currently scheduled for
trial in Circuit Court October 24.  See the discussion list for details.

One lesson is that we all should make it as difficult as possible for
someone to break into a house through a first floor window.  My
impression (but I am not sure) is that that was the means of entry last
night.

BTW, one can sign up for crime bulletins from Johns  Hopkins University,
and what appears in those bulletins generally is reproduced in the
weekly crime bulletins from the benefits district.  I expect that we
will get more information today from the JHU bulletin.

And please tell your new next door neighbor that we all welcome her to
the neighborhood and that what happened is not typical of what happens
on  the 3000 block of Guilford.  JHU patrols the 3000, 3100 and 3200
blocks of Guilford extensively, and in fact, one of its vehicles is used
almost exclusively to patrol just those 3 blocks.  That is a definite
help to our block.

Steve