[Chat] Convenience Store on 27th Street

Paul Williams oldhousehistory at aol.com
Fri Dec 16 13:37:54 EST 2011

Many of you know that the former convenience store on 27th between Guilford
and Calvert Street that had been run by Ms Sue was sold over the summer and
completely gutted and renovated, inside and out.

The fellows that opened the new store are great!  Its clean, well stocked
with myriad needs, deli meats, eggs, and everything you need in the middle
of a recipe.  They also take requests to stock your any need.  It opened
under the name Jalines.

They installed a huge canopy that kept you dry while coming and going, and
while it might not have been for everyone, it had the name and tag lines of
the store to advertise its presence.  I'm guessing it cost more than $5,000.
Imagine our surprise last week when we saw them painting over the sign, and
removing any and all exterior signage.  The owners told us somebody
complained - not one house faces 27th Street - and they had to remove
everything.  They were visibly upset, and now are threatening to leave the
neighborhood.  Who would cause such a fuss?

Paul K. Williams

Kelsey & Associates, Inc.

 <http://washingtonhistory.com/> WashingtonHistory.com