[Chat] Convenience Store on 27th Street

SLG2700 at cs.com SLG2700 at cs.com
Fri Dec 16 15:10:58 EST 2011

Dear Paul:

I will check my notes when I have more time but I think that this is the
location from which the CVCA Land Use Committee received several complaints
from residents about the size, color, illumination, etc of the sign over a
period of several months. Some of the complaints were very passionate. We
advised the complaining residents to call 311 to complain. I believe that zoning
enforcement must have issued a citation because the awning had been
installed without the proper permits and may not have conformed to code
requirements.  I was not aware that the owner had to remove the sign until receiving
your email.

I believe that this is also the location about which so many residents
expressed concern as to the change in ownership, whether the new owner was
changing the use and what that would mean to the neighborhood.  Because we were
able to check with Zoning to confirm that the new owner did not intend to
change the use, we were able to allay many concerns from the residents.  One
resident contacted the owner and I told that resident to invite the new owner
to our next committee meeting. At no time during the change in ownership did
the new owner contact the CVCA to introduce himself to the community or to
reach out for input.

Perhaps we should have done more to reach out to the business owner and
warn him about the complaints or to advise him of what the community required
before he installed the illegal awning. But we are dependent on the
availability of volunteers many of whom devote long hours to the committee work. We
barely have time to keep up with resident complaints and do not have as much
time as we would like to be proactive. But actually, It is the business of
the owner and the awning company hired, to apply for the proper permits, to
follow the local laws, and to reach out to the residents for input before he
or she installs such a sign as would any good neighbor who plans on making
an improvement that would have a major impact on the esthetics of the
surrounding blocks.

If anyone would like to join the CVCA Land Use Committee for the purpose of
making sure that the business owners know and follow the local laws before
they break them and cost themselves money unnecessarily, and to let business
owners know that the community appreciates their bringing business into the
neighborhood provided that they follow all laws that exist for the
protection of the community, we would love to have someone be the watchdog for those
issues. Just let me know.  We are always looking to do a better job.

Having to obey reasonable laws, which exist to protect residents, should
never be viewed as a legitimate complaint or a valid reason for leaving the
community.  And, communication is a two way street. Please encourage the owner
to contact me so that we can begin to work together for the benefit of his
business and the community.

Sharon Guida, CVCA Land Use Committee
410-467-4409
www.charlesvillage.net

n a message dated 12/16/2011 1:39:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,