[Chat] Fwd: RE: Re: trees

Dawna Cobb dawnacobb at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 14:22:43 EDT 2012

Hi all:  I live on Charles and 30th and am sad about the tree removal.  My
neighbors and I received a grant from Parks and People to plant 4 cherry
trees on our block in 1999 so you can imagine how we feel!  That being
said, after almost 10 years of negotiation and meetings, I am optimistic
that the result, which will include more trees than the number that  were
removed, will be lovely.

This project has been in the works since at least 1999.  This summer I have
been purging my house of stuff and recently recycled about a foot of paper
from all the meetings my neighbors and I attended about this project.
Please know that Charles Villagers, the Friends of Wyman Park Dell, and
other community members vociferously advocated for a pedestrian and
tree/plant friendly design going so far as to hire our own expert to give
input to the project.  We also advocated to keep Charles Street from
becoming a highway out of town and to preserve the buffer between the
street and the houses, buildings and park on either side.

There were community meetings where designs were presented and the
community gave input. ( I recall a large meeting at the Friends Meeting
House where three designs were presented and the community voted on the one
it preferred.) There was a stakeholders group that represented a variety of
interests (residents, churchs, condos on Greenway)  that met with the
planner from the City, DOT, JHU, and the engineering firm hired by the
City.  Notes from these meetings can be found at the website that Casey
sent around.

There were numerous Villager articles and even some Baltimore Sun articles
about the project.   This project nearly wore me out given how long it has
been going on.  Still, as a Charles Street resident I plan to monitor the
project as it progresses.

Dawna Cobb

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 1:34 AM, judy <jdydee at verizon.net> wrote:

> -------- Original Message --------  Subject: RE: Re: [Chat] trees  Date: Thu,
> 27 Sep 2012 19:41:44 +0000  From: Millspaugh, Tweefie
> <TMillspaugh at semmes.com> <TMillspaugh at semmes.com>  To: judy
> <jdydee at verizon.net> <jdydee at verizon.net>
>
> Ridiculous that CVCA has a monopoly on the information that affects us
> all.
> I read the Chaz Villager, and I dont recall seeing that - Nor was it ever
> mentioned
> on the discussion list  that I recall...

Dawna Cobb
2943 N Charles Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21218