[Chat] notice re: sewer work

Josh Fruhlinger jfruh at jfruh.com
Wed Jan 29 15:45:53 EST 2014

I live on the 3100 block of Abell and just *today* got a flyer in my mailbox "reminding" me that some kind of sewer work is happening *tomorrow* (there had been no previous information on this subject), and urging us "to avoid the possibility of flows backing up into your properpty, please limit all liquids from going down your drain tomorrow" from 7 am to 7 pm. Among several problems here, it's supposed to be 12 degrees tomorrow at 7 am and many of us are keeping a basement sink running to prevent the pipes from freezing. Anyone have any advice?

The flyer says you may "detect an odor" and that odors are "most likely to occur in buildings with dry or non-existent traps." I have no idea what "traps" are and wonder if anyone smarter than I could inform me of whether the houses on Abell typically have them.

The flyer also adds that "if you have a sump pump that discharges into the sewer, it must be disconnected during our installation process." We have a pump that attaches to the basement toilet/sink that elevates water high enough so it can flow down into the train. Does anyone know if this constitutes a sump pump? If so, I have no idea how to disconnect it, though I could just unplug it, I guess.

jf