[Chat] notice re: sewer work

Casey Miller casey.e.miller at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 15:56:34 EST 2014

Josh, a "trap" in a drain is the U-shaped piece, usually found underneath a
sink or built into a toilet, where water is "trapped" to prevent odors from
travelling back up the pipes and into the house.  They also trap anything
dropped into the drain, like jewelry or the like, so that they are easily
recoverable and not lost to the sewer system.  If you have a sink that is
used regularly (once a week or more) and a toilet with water in the bowl,
your traps probably aren't dry.  I've included a link to an image here that
should hopefully clarify things a bit:
http://www.heppelthwaite.co.uk/unblock-a-sink.jpg

With regard to your sump, I would have to take a look at it to be
absolutely sure, but from what you described, yes, you should just be able
to unplug it.

I'm not a plumber, though.  Just a guy who has experienced lots of plumbing
issues over the years.