[Chat] Tonight's reading ...

Crystal cver1001 at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 23:31:41 EDT 2003

Since discovering Harriet Tubman's house in Auburn, NY
over Memorial Day weekend
(http://www.nyhistory.com/harriettubman/ ,
http://www.motherlandconnextions.com/ur.html), I've
been thinking a lot about my family's legends of
having played a fairly small part the Underground
Railroad. So I was poking around the Maryland
Historical Society website and, while I didn't find
much on the Underground Railroad, I did find some old
Baltimore pictures,
http://www.mdhs.org/library/MDF1.html , and some cool
bits on Maryland (mostly Baltimore) firsts,
http://www.mdhs.org/library/MDfirsthome.html .

I also found a link that, if I'm making the right
mental connections, implies that the Goldseker
Foundation, which gives so many charitable grants to
repair Baltimore now, was built on destroying
neighborhoods by "blockbusting",
http://www.baltolink.org/issues/4/turner/pages/turner05.html
.

Anyway, the folks at the Harriet Tubman House told me
that the NY state legislature has thus far failed to
pass the bill that would make the first state holiday
for a lady, which includes time off for state workers.
It was in the works when I left NY and I suppose it'll
take awhile to pass. But I also heard that similar
legislation has been proposed in the Maryland General
Assembly, anybody know more about that?