[Chat] Greetings on Thanksgiving from the Palace - w/o picture

william.schlegel at us.army.mil william.schlegel at us.army.mil
Sat Nov 29 15:33:37 EST 2003

Greetings on Thanksgiving!

A friend sent me the message, below, about the first Thanksgiving, so I thought I would pass it along. The chaplain who spoke at our ecumenical service, this morning, also related the story - one always worth remembering.  I hope elementary school students still have Thanksgiving programs where they get to dress up in costume and reenact the event.  Squanto was always one of my favorite personages.  Also the use of fish as fertilizer, which gave rise to the abundant harvest that fall.  I remember fondly singing Thanksgiving hymns in our chorus (I started singing in a school chorus in the third grade).

Today was very special for me, even though it started out with someone stealing my flashlight.  At 9am I participated in Mass and sang with the choir, doing some traditional Thanksgiving hymns.  At 10am the same choir participated in the ecumenical service, where we sang America the Beautiful and On Eagles Wings.  We started America the Beautiful with a solo male voice and added additional voices as we processed up the aisle of the chapel.  The effect was quite stunning.  Even the commanding general of CJTF-7 (the main force here), LTG Sanchez was very impressed.  I am including a picture of the two of us for you to see, unless attachments are too big for your mailbox.  In addition to the choir, the 76th Army Band provided a trombone choir to accompany "We Gather Together" and "Now Thank We All Our God".

After church I rode with the chaplain in his HUMVEE to the dining facility (DFAC) for thanksgiving dinner.  What a feast to behold!  I cannot begin to describe all of the decorations, but here are a few: ice sculptures in the shape of turkeys and eagles with flowing mounds of fresh fruit and carved squashes.  Bouquets of flowers frozen in ice.  A cake in the shape of a Bible with a scripture written in the icing.  Unlimited boneless turkey, prime rib, greens with ham, string beans, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, two kinds of stuffing, fresh rolls, cranberry sauce, jumbo shrimp cocktail, egg nog, sparkling grape juice, all sorts of pies, ice cream, etc.  The managers of the DFAC hired a Philipino to do all of the design work and flew him up from Saudi Arabia two days ago to do all of the preparation.  I have not had a feast like this in a long time.  I hope your day was just as blessed.

Once again, I want to express my thanks to you, my friends,for all the kindnesses you have shown through your letters, prayers, and boxes.  Also for Dale Dusman, my pastor, who has helped me through lots of issues - including my mail and car.  For my sister, Beth, and my mother, Betty, who have always been there when I needed something sent in a hurry.  I am just thankful that I am in a secure place, well protected, warm, and finally with a hot shower again.

It is now almost official that I will be here until the end of March.  Technically, the Dept. of the Army must give final approval, but all indication point to that happening.  So, if any of you are inclined to send cards or care packages, my address is:

CW4 Schlegel, William
V CORPS Main, A Co/325th MI BN
APO, AE 09342

Item I can use are: Bags of Dunkin Donuts regular coffee or Starbucks Sumatra; #4 cone coffee filters; Nature Valley trail mix bars or granola bars; Garden Herb triskets; beef jerkey; macadamia nuts; cashews; or almonds.

We are also collecting toys for a local orphanage - so let me know if you would like to send something for this community project.  I will send final details to you later.

Please keep in touch and I will see you on April.

Brad