[Chat] Local history of street names and signs

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Sat Aug 13 14:46:47 EDT 2005

I have noticed that on the 23rd St. side of the CVCBD headquarters (2301
North Charles), the masonry contains the words "SHIRK ST" and that
adjacent to those words on the Charles St. side of the building are the
words "CHARLES ST."

Obviously, 23rd St. used to be called Shirk St., and obviously, at one
time at least some street signs in our part of Baltimore were on the
sides of buildings (just as they still are generally in France, although
usually the signs in France are not as high up as the signs on the CVCBD
headquarters).

Does anyone know what the original names of our other numbered streets
were?  And does anyone know whether street signs were generally on the
sides of buildings and if so, when the change came in our part of Baltimore?

Steve.