[Chat] They stole our wreath!

Linda Forlifer LEF at press.jhu.edu
Thu Dec 8 10:05:36 EST 2005

Kathleen,

Don't let the police stop you from getting the report documented.
That's to their benefit (saves them time and paperwork, they can report
a drop in crime) but not to the benefit of the community.  Last time I
was able to make a report over the phone through the 311 system; I don't
know if they still do that.

I am very skeptical of statistics from the police because I've
experienced their stonewalling when residents want to report crimes (in
my case, they've said a report wasn't necessary for theft and for a man
exposing himself).

When I hang my wreath, I use multiple pieces of wire to attach it to
the iron grill on my front door.  Takes me lots more time, but I haven't
lost a wreath since I began to do that.

Good luck,

Linda

At 10:30 AM -0500 12/7/05, Baneone at aol.com wrote:
>Sorry Kathleen, I hang my best wreath out during the day {a red boa}
>and before I go to sleep or it gets to late, I hang out a plastic
>one that I keep by my front door. Its kinda a hassle but I hate
>someone stealing what I make and buy. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. deBorah
>p.s. the young lady down the street had two packages stolen from her
>porch while at home in afternoon before the mailman got off the
>street.

Yes, my wreath was also stolen during the day but I was at work.
My first reaction was to call the police and report it for the
reason that Linda mentions, but the police
gave me such a hassle and attitude back in May when I reported
the theft of my hose reel out of my backyard that I am hesitating.

-Kathleen