[Chat] America's fittest city is...Baltimore!

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Sat Jan 7 22:45:07 EST 2006

Crystal,

It's great news to hear that you're expecting!

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:21:15AM -0800, Crystal wrote:
> When an annual survey named Baltimore the fittest city
> in America, many Charm City residents had the same
> response: You gotta be kidding.
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7279844/did/10734692/?GT1=7538
>
> Well, I must say that now that I must drive to work,
> rather than walking to catch the bus & train, I've put
> on a couple extra pounds. And now that I'm pregnant
[...deleted...]

If you visit the MSN website to read the story,

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7279844/did/10734692/?GT1=7538

you can vote to give the story 5 stars!  Currently it
has only a low rating.

The same AP wire story is on the Sun website at

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-fitness0106,1,2696084.story

and there's a follow-up story at

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-te.md.fitness07jan07,1,332460.story  .

I wonder if this rating counts air quality.  When Kathleen and I moved
to Baltimore from Los Angeles in 1994, Baltimore had the second worst
air quality of US cities -- second only to LA, so we joked about how
much of an improvement there would be.  Last time I checked, Baltimore has the
tenth or twentieth worst air quality.

I wonder if Baltimore scores low on the number of fast-food restaurants
per capita because there are many locally-owned restaurants, like
little Chinese take-out places and Kennedy Fried Chicken that don't
get counted like national chains (KFC, McDonald's, etc.)

Baltimore is pretty good with parks.  I think Druid Hill adds a lot
of park area when compared to the population of the city.

Emil Volcheck
volcheck at acm.org
http://acm.org/~volcheck