[Chat] Jonathon

Crystal charlesvillager2002 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 20 15:36:53 EDT 2006

Well, Jonathon keeps me a bit busy!  Sometimes I call him "my little hungry monster" because he eats so much.  He was 7 lbs at birth and has been gaining 12 oz/week since then (typical babies gain 6 oz/week).  He's not fat, though; he's long so I'm sure he's going to be a lot taller than me!

  The birth was pretty tough on both of us and my Dad only told me recently that he overheard one of the nurses say "We're losing her!" but they didn't, or rather, I wasn't planning on leaving just yet and neither was he.  Jon E. increased his heart rate every time Justin talked to him so Justin did A LOT of talking in the last half hour or so.

  Jon E. is 3 months' old now and has already gone on several 4+ hour car trips.  Even on his first day he held up his head and looked around and he laughed at my Dad's beard.

  We got his first round of immunizations on schedule largely because I just couldn't find any solid evidence to back up my feeling that the present schedule is too much for a little one's system. The impact and likelihood of actually getting one of the diseases is just so much greater than the shots that we decided to go ahead with it, though we'll have to wait and see if evidence of harm has just been hidden by the drug companies.

  For the most part, my energy is now directed toward things for Jon E. -- reading up on child development studies, looking into "Mommy & Me" classes, building relationships with other new parents, converting the house into an energy-independent play place, etc.  As far back as I can remember, even back to when I was only three years old, I've been motivated to make the world a better place for children, their parents, and all human beings (my motto has been "Save the Planet for the Humans", which is strongly compatible with saving ecosystems, BTW), but it's even stronger now.

  I was a little annoyed lately at a coalition of folks who want to implement universal health care for children.  I do believe that it is a worthwhile goal and that children who grow up with universal health care will want it as adults, thus making it more likely to occur in the future.

  BUT there's a lot in our health care system that needs serious reform, especially in the areas of profit-taking and retirement investments, so that we aren't paying many times more than people in other countries for a lower average of care.  Also, I think it's fairly useless to cover children if their parents aren't covered because lack of coverage for parents so often leads to homelessness and substandard care for children.

  Well, I suppose I've been on the soapbox long enough.  Who wants to go next?

  -- Crystal

Judy Berlin <jberlin at bcpl.net> wrote:

when were u planning on letting folks know about your baby? what's
his name? when did u have him? weight please. details please.
judy

Give the gift of relaxation to yourself
and others: A hammock or a hammock chair.
http://www.twinoakstore.com/