[Chat] [Discussion] Tom Lehrer's Elements song

Crystal charlesvillager2002 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 14:01:00 EDT 2007

Really? I didn't know that "Hanukah in Santa Monica" was a recent tune.  Lately, I've been singing the "L-Y" song for my son.  One of the lines is "You enter a very dark room / and suddenly there in the gloom / is Dracula now how do you say Goodbye? / IMMEDIATELY IMMEDIATELY Immediate-L-Y! Bye bye!"

  I think Leher made up a handful of tunes like the ""L-Y" song for The Electric Company or Sesame Street so I must've known many of his tunes before I connected them with him.

  My first introduction to Leher in which I knew his name was after hearing "Masochism Tango" on an NPR station as my family drove out to Cape Cod for our first family vacation when I was about 14. (I'll pause here for another "Gosh that was almost 20 years ago!" moment. I've been having a lot of those lately.)  Later, I memorized the Song of the Elements for extra credit in Chemistry class, though I couldn't sing it now except for the last line:  "And these are all the elements of which the news has come to Harvard, and there may be many others but they haven't been discovered!"

  Perhaps if I listen to the clip a few times, it'll all come back to me. Thanks, Steve.

  "So if Sunday you're free why don't you come with me and we'll poison the pigeons in the park ..."

  Best regards to all you CVers,

  :)

  Crystal

WeinsteinM at aol.com wrote:
  Good Lord, something else Gewirtz and I have in common! (in addition to our strong feelings about the CVCBD)

I got my father the Tom Lehrer CD box set a few years back, which gave us all the chance to relisten to his works and add them to my laptop digital collection.  My favorite of his "recent" work is the 1990 "Hanukah in Santa Monica", which I first heard on Garrison Keillor's program.  It's less well known than his 1950s and 1960s stuff, and among his most clever songs.

-Matthew