[Chat] [Discussion] Eddies Liquor

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Thu Nov 29 17:05:02 EST 2007

Paul,

I first noticed the problem at least a month ago.  I went in to get some
cheap sherry for cooking and could not find any.  A week or two later, I
found some there.  Also, that earlier day, there was less than the usual
selection of beers.  When I asked about it, I was told that their
supplier was late with delivery.

Since then, I have noticed what you have noticed.  If I want Wild Goose
or Guiness (the beers I usually buy), I can find them there.  And the
New York (Taylor) and California sherries are there although in more
limited quantity than they used to carry.  So even for the limited items
that I generally get there, I have seen a change.

If they are not going out of business, they must have limited capital
with which to maintain their stock, or their credit needed to buy such
stock must be limited.  My first thought a few weeks ago was that they
must be going out of business, but they still seem to be open.

An article in today's NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/29/business/29lend.html?th&emc=th says
that credit is tightening quite a bit.  Whether that is the problem or
whether they simply intend to stay in business until after Christmas is
pure speculation, but I am also curious whether we will lose a business
which has been very convenient for getting beer and cheap wine.  On the
other hand, we see more specialty wine stores (I often pick up a bottle
of nice roughly $15 wine at Bin 604 when I get groceries at Whole Foods
in the Inner Harbor), and the plan for The Olmsted was to have a wine
tasting bar there.  So maybe the proprietors of Eddies Liquors think
that this is a good time to get out of the business once the Christmas
shopping season is over.

All in all though, your guess is as good as mine.

Steve.