[Chat] Robert Egger to speak at BES 2/17

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Sun Feb 10 00:10:44 EST 2008

Hello, neighbors,

I want to call your attention to a provocative talk next Sunday at the
Baltimore Ethical Society.  The speaker is Robert Egger, author of the
book "Begging for Change : The Dollars and Sense of Making Nonprofits
Responsive, Efficient, and Rewarding for All".

Title:  "Food Donations Impede the Elimination of Hunger and Poverty"

Speaker:  Robert Egger, Founder & President of the DC Central Kitchen

Time:  Sunday, Feb. 17, 10:30 AM

We must rethink our devotion to food donation. Food programs have
sidetracked efforts to eradicate hunger and poverty; co-dependency
within the system is multifaceted and troubling. Food donors and
recipients are trapped in an ever-expanding web of immediate
gratification that offers the recipients no long-term hope of ever
achieving independence and self-reliance.

For more information, visit

  http://baltimoreethicalsociety.org/Calendar.php  .

Hope to see you there,