[Chat] tax assessment appeal deadline

John Spurrier jfspur at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 10 10:28:58 EST 2008

Tomorrow is the deadline for most Charles Villager residents to file
for a hearing to appeal their recent property tax reassessment. If
filing by mail, the forms must be postmarked no later than February
11, in most cases. You may also notify the State Department of
Assessment & Taxation of your intention to appeal the assessment
on-line at http://www.dat.state.md.us/.

In my opinion the approach that the assessors have taken is based
on a lot of assumptions. In any given year about 5 percent of the
residential properties in Charles Village change hands. The recent assessment notices claim that the new assessed value is the
"Market Value" as of January 1, 2008.

Since July 1, 2007 14 three bedroom houses which were marketed
as being in Charles Village sold for an average of $212,462 when
adjusted for seller assistance with closing help or other incentives.

During the same period six houses with 4 or more bedrooms sold
for an average of $362,844. I used the contract date rather than the date of settlement, because the settlement date reflects market
conditions 30 - 60 days earlier.

John