[Chat] Fw: [I-NEIGHBORS] Your Feedback Is Sought Regarding Opening A Local Hardware Store

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Fri Jan 9 13:43:00 EST 2009

I also remember 3 hardware stores: Hardware Fair (which was not mom and
pop as far as I was aware) next to the Boulevard Theater, Hoover's on
the 3100 or 3200 block of Greenmount (and Mr. Hoover could come to ones
house to repair an old lock), and Boulevard Hardware on 31st or 32nd
just west of Greenmount.  Hoover's closed (its owners were elderly and
probably did not have kids who wanted to take over the business), and
two men who had just recently bought Boulevard from its previous owner
then bought Hardware Fair, closed the other store, and opened as
Boulevard Hardware Fair where Hardware Fair had been.  Hechingers, a
regional chain which had opened a store in Northwood where Hecht Company
had been, closed according to the Sun if I recall correctly because of
poor management and inability to compete with Home Depot on prices
(Lowe's came to Maryland much more recently).  So now we have Home Depot
and Lowe's in suburbia and a few small local hardware stores.

But the small hardware stores can compete despite higher prices because
we can walk to them (especially good for those of us without cars) and
because they universally give better service than Home Depot or Lowe's.
While I will be glad during daylight hours to patronize a store where
Blockbuster was (and the murder occurred at night when people with sense
would not go there), I agree with Judy that it would be far better if a
hardware store were located in the JHU-owned building at 31st and
Charles; we do not need another 7-11.

Another great location, if it can be gotten, would be the old Uncle
Lee's Restaurant across Greenmount from where Boulevard Hardware Fair
was.  As I am sure that Gina knows, the City has definitely been
interested in trying to get an Ace Hardware there and has been trying to
pressure the owner of Uncle Lee's to sell the property if he is not
going to put it to use.

So I encourage Gina to open an Ace Hardware at any one of the locations
mentioned.  We definitely need a hardware store in the neighborhood.  We
really need to get a collection of good stores and restaurants on and
near Greenmount (i.e. at locations such as the old post office where
Blockbuster was and on the 3300 block of Greenmount where Uncle Lee's
was) that will attract neighborhood and outside people in sufficient
numbers so that the entire area will no longer seem so seedy and feel so
unsafe that people do not want to go there.  Her store can help a lot at
either Waverly Main Street location, and her store at Charles and 31st
can keep that area from going downhill.

Years ago, I was told by someone in the hardware business (it might have
been one of the owners of Boulevard Hardware Fair) that the hardware
business is counter-cyclical because people who are un or under employed
like to fix up their homes during their spare time.  So despite the
economic mess, this may be an excellent time to open a hardware store.
Good luck to Gina!

BTW, when I need hardware now, I take the 8 and 9 buses to Lowe's.  So
despite the fact that Lowe's is cheaper than Ace will be, I certainly
would find it preferable to use an Ace Hardware in the neighborhood.

Steve.