[Chat] 300 Lorraine - Abandoned House

oldhousehistory at aol.com oldhousehistory at aol.com
Mon May 4 12:23:40 EDT 2009

See my rant about 300 E. Lorraine Street, an abandoned and
rapidly deteriorating house I’ve been complaining about for years.  I’m
getting no action from our elected officials, nor our city employees.
They have not only let me down, but cost the city tens of thousands in lost tax
revenue: despite its condemnation classification, its taxed as a principal
residence rate.  The court ordered its demolition in December of
2007!  I’ve learned today that the owner claims it as her principal residence,
and it’s been taxed as such since 2003.

It’s completely uninhabitable, as the court found, and was
ordered razed 17 months ago.  So how does the city classify it as her
principal residence, accept her tax payment of just $650 in February of this year,
when no one has been inside since 2004?  Its not had rain gutters since
2004, and all rain water from the roof pours directly inside the kitchen from
the back wall: the windows are so black with mold you can’t see inside
anymore.

Paul Williams

2629 Guilford Ave

An email I sent yesterday to officials supposedly tracking the
situation, with prior emails below!:

Ladies & Gentlemen!

I’ve been patiently waiting for
information from you all on this ongoing problematic vacant house (now full of
mold) which I’ve been complaining about for years (see=2
0below).  I had
hoped to find resolution to the problem through the normal channels, as the
court system was making progress in her contempt case.    Today,
I watched the rain pour into the basement from the back roof and noticed that
the windows are so black with mold one can’t see inside.

When I went to look the house up
today (300 E. Lorraine – Square 3837, lot 66) on the real property tax
database, imagine my anger at finding that the owner not only paid her taxes in
February (on a condemned house where she is in contempt of court), but that she
LISTED THE HOUSE AS HER PRICIPAL RESIDENCE.  And, she got the residential
tax rate (about $1400 per year), which I’m sure she has obviously been getting
for several years, even with condemnation proceedings now over two years
old.  Nobody can, or has, lived in the house since 2004.

We moved into an adjoining house
facing the shared alley in 2003.  Even the illegal vagrants moved out in
2004 because of the deteriorated condition.   How can the city allow
someone to claim this condemned property as her principal residence?  She
was found in contempt of court, and was subject to a $500 per day fine
beginning in November of 2008.

I was assured action by my
elected officials for several years now, and thought our communication last
November ensured that this house be torn down.  Now I need to expose
this
illegal and embarrassing theft from our city coffers, and I intend on
doing so by any public means possible, beginning with the media on Tuesday
morning, unless I hear from you with its current status, the house is scheduled
to be torn down, her $500 per day fine is being paid, and she will be taxed
retro-actively at the vacant rate; or otherwise assured that my city officials
are doing their job.

Paul

Paul
K. Williams